Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dutch Scissor Sisters

Fraser Island was... okay. It was one of the main things we had been looking forward to seeing, and had the weather cooperated, it would've been great. But it rained most of the time we were there, turning us into miserable, mean people. But, surprisingly, it also accounted for a lot of laughs, as well as the construction of the most awesome fort ever. We were lucky enough to at least have sunshine on our first day, when we saw the famous Lake McKenzie. I took a dip in the lake, which is said to make you one year younger each time you go in. So I am back to being 23, which means I have a whoooole nother year before I freak out about being in my mid-twenties and having no life path set yet!

After Fraser Island, we went to Airlie Beach, a delightful little beach town near the Whitsunday Islands. We did an ocean rafting trip to the Islands yesterday, and although we had some clouds, that didn't take away from the beauty. The big finale was Whitehaven Beach, National Geographic's most beautiful beach in the world for a few years now, and with good reason. The tide creates sand bars that weave in and out of the water across the whole beach, giving you an amazing view. Pictures to come. If I can figure out how to upload at an internet cafe. Oh yeah, I was also attacked by pigeons on Whitehaven Beach! We had out lunch there, and as I was bring my bread roll up to my mouth, a pigeon swoops down, pecked at my finger, causing me to scream and by the time I had opened my eyes again, my roll was on the sand and the birds were going to town on it. And everyone laughed :( I was also the only person on the raft to get soaked going to and from the islands. A girl just can't get a break...

We are now in Townsville, the Sears of urban development. It honestly feels like we have traveled back in time and I'm not sure I quite like it. So far we've just gone to Woolworth's to pick up some groceries and were followed down the aisles by a one eyed Aboriginal man. (no joke) Needless to say, we fled. Tomorrow we are heading to Magnetic Island where I am going to hold the crap out of some Koalas. And probably cry tears of joy while doing it.

Quote of the Day: "Look, Beaches Travel Agency! Oh no wait... it's Beaches Hostel. Hey, they have the same logan."-Ilan
2 minutes later...
"Did you just say 'Logan'?"- Me
"Yes."- Ilan

No comments:

Post a Comment